By Paola Levy • www.paolacakeatelier.com
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (egg should be at room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp half-and-half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients For the ganache:
- 2 generous cups (18 oz; 500 g) heavy cream
- 21 ounces (600 g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 generous cup (2 oz; 60 g) Grand Marnier
- To enrobe the truffles
- 18 ounces (500 g) bittersweet chocolate,
- To garnish the truffles
- Approx. 2 cups (8 oz; 230 g) toasted nuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in butter and blend with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- With a fork stir in lightly beaten egg, vanilla and half-andhalf.
- Blend well with fork, then with your hands to ensure thorough blending. Chill dough for one hour for easier rolling. —If you are not rolling the dough, chill for 15 minutes then skip to step 6 for baking.
- On a floured surface roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes.
- Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain for decorating with icing.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until lightly brown.