By Danziger Kosher Catering
- Pan with juices and browned bits from roasting a turkey
- 4 cups of chicken stock or broth
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- After roasting the turkey, remove the rack from the roasting pan. If the juice has evaporated, leaving only fat and browned bits on the bottom of the pan, carefully pour out the fat and discard it, retaining all the browned bits. If there are juices, tilt the pan and skim as much fat as possible with a spoon.
- Set the pan on two burners over medium heat. Pour in 4 cups of chicken stock (or broth). Bring it to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits. Reduce the heat and simmer it slowly for 5 minutes.
- Separately, mix ¼ cup of water and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to a smooth paste.
- Whisking constantly, gradually pour this mixture into the simmering broth, then simmer while whisking for 1 minute.
- Season it all to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a gravy boat.