20 stars servings | 18 minute cook time
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
- Pinch kosher salt
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until it just holds soft peaks. With mixer running, add a tablespoon of sugar at a time, beating on high until stiff, glossy peaks hold. Gently fold in salt and cocoa powder.
- Transfer meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch star tip. Pipe 1-inch wide stars about ½-inch apart until you have used all the meringue. If you don’t have a pastry bag or tips, you can fill a gallon Ziploc bag and trim the tip off. Pipe small circles as you would with a pastry bag.
- Bake 1 ½ to 2 hours or until meringues are dry and crisp. Turn the oven off and cool in the oven with the door propped open for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine jam with lemon juice and stir to loosen. If still too thick, add a few drops of water until jam is the right consistency to use as a dipping sauce.