By Karina Chaberman Fincheltub of chabi chef – photographs by Vera Franceschi
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Oil and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Cover the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the melted chocolate. Sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the water, until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.