Total 30 minutes. 6 servings
By Isaac Perlman | Photography by The Lunch Box www.thelunchboxphoto.com
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar plus more for coating the ramekins
- 4 ounces nutella
- ½ cup cold water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large egg whites at room temperature
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Butter six 1-cup ramekins and coat with granulated sugar, tapping out excess. Place the ramekins on a sturdy baking sheet.
- In a large bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the nutella. Off the heat, whisk in the water and cocoa, until smooth. In another bowl, using a handheld electric mixer beat the egg whites at medium high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and beat at high speed until firm and glossy, 1 minute. Fold ¼ of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, and then fold in the rest until no streaks of white remain.
- Spoon the soufflé mixture into the ramekins and smooth the tops. Run the tip of your thumb around the inside rim of each ramekin to clean off any spills and to help the soufflés rise evenly
- Bake for 16 minutes, until very puffy and set around the edges. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately