Recipe by Aroma Catering
- 8 large artichokes, washed and cooked
- 10 cups water or broth
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Cook the artichokes completely covered in water. Strain the cooking water and set aside.
- Measure the strained broth into cups and, if needed, add water or broth to make 7 cups.
- Remove the pulp from the leaves and cut the artichoke bottoms into 4 pieces.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. of butter in a saucepan and add flour while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes until cooked. Gradually add part of the reserved artichoke broth, stirring continuously until brought to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Melt 4 Tbsp. of butter in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic; stir for 5 minutes until transparent. Add the artichoke bottoms and pulp from the leaves to the sauce. Add the remaining cooking broth.
- Blend all in parts. If result is too thick, add up to 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes. Add olive oil. Mix and season to taste. Serve hot in individual bowls.
Optional: Garnish with croutons.